Thursday 22 May 2014

Recipe: Coffee Iced Brownies / Cake

If you love coffee then you will love this recipe that I found in a recipe book called 1001 Cupcakes, Cookies and other tempting treats. I found this to be the best baking book that I have come across in a while that has a wide range of recipes that aren't so hard to follow. I am a really big coffee fan so this recipe was perfect for me however I didn't have the right sort of tin to put the mixture in so it turned out more like a cake but still it was really yummy. So this is how I did it: 
Ingredients Needed: 
225g of Butter
225g of Self Raising Flour
1 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp of coco powder
4 eggs lightly beaten
3 tbsp of instant coffee dissolved in 2tbsp of hot water, cooled

1. Grease and the base of a shallow tin (the book said 28 x 18cm) and pre-heat oven at 180C
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and coco into a bowl and add the butter, sugar, eggs and coffee. Beat until smooth
3. Spoon into the tin and smooth on top
4. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until risen and firm
5. Leave for 10 minutes on the side and then turn out onto a cooling rack


How to decorate 
In a small saucepan melt 55g of butter with 3 table spoons of milk, then add in 4 teaspoons of instant coffee granules and stir until they have dissolved. 
Next sift 225g of icing sugar into a bowl then add the coffee mixture into it, and beat to make a smooth icing, 
Spread all over the cake and if you want sprinkle some fudge pieces on top of the icing. Let the icing set and cut into bars or depending on its size you can leave it like a cake.

I decorated it with fudge and chocolate icing
Cake cut into brownie hand size pieces 

 xxx

4 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! x

    underbluelights.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! This looks so incredibly good! I'm definitely trying this some day!

    xx, Be || lovefrombe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, that looks really tasty! :)

    ReplyDelete